Covid-19 News and Updates
What if an Employee is Sick or Has Been Exposed?
The ANJC has received questions from members with employees who may have been exposed to coronavirus or have been in direct contact with a confirmed case. Here are important links from the state Department of Health and the CDC:
Due to their often extensive and close contact with vulnerable individuals in healthcare settings, NJDOH recommends a conservative approach to HCP monitoring and restrictions from work to quickly identify early symptoms and prevent transmission from potentially contagious HCP to patients, HCP, and visitors. Healthcare facilities (HCFs) should have a low threshold for evaluating symptoms and testing symptomatic HCP, particularly those who fall into the high- and medium-risk categories described in this guidance. HCFs, in consultation with public health authorities, should use clinical judgment as well as the principles outlined in this guidance to assign risk and determine need for work restrictions.
To help HCFs document and assess HCP risk and exposure, the CDC and NJDOH have developed the below series of tools and checklists:
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- This document can be used to assess the type of potential exposure HCP may have experienced while caring for the COVID-19 patient and assign risk level (High, Medium, Low or No Risk). It also provides guidance on the management of exposed HCP.
- Retrospective Assessment Tool for Healthcare Personnel Potentially Exposed to COVID-19 (March 9, 2020)
- This tool can be used to assess HCP exposure risk prior to the patient being identified as having COVID-19.
- This tool can be used to monitor and assess the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for HCP caring for the COVID-19 patient after they have been identified in the facility.
- This tool can be used by a HCF or local health department (LHD) track HCP under active monitoring.